An Afternoon at Path To Shine:
- Check-In: Children and adults start their Path To Shine session by placing a sticker by their name on the sticker chart as a way to keep attendance. The kids love checking in this way!
- Homework: The mentors work with the same students each week, helping with homework, reading together or catching up on the week's events. Each mentor is assigned to one or two students, and they help the children work through their homework. During this time, the children can also choose a book they want to read with their mentor. Programs are encouraged to spend a least an hour on homework and reading.
- Snack time: Many of the kids come to the program hungry, especially if they haven't eaten since lunch at school (which can be as early as 10:30).
- Play time: It's important that children have time to play with their mentors and each other. Play time is also where kids get to explore what they enjoy. We encourage kids to play outside on the church playground or play board games inside.
- Group time: This is a time the entire group comes together to practice attentive listening, comprehension and learn valuable life skills. Through stories told using books or guest speakers, the children are exposed to more of life. Sometimes, the older children will read to the group. The students are also encouraged to ask and answer questions, reinforcing the idea that learning is active.